At install, WP-Members creates an array containing all of the registration field data and stores it in the wp_options table. These fields are displayed in the plugin’s Fields tab.
This screen allows the administrator to establish what fields are displayed in the registration form and which fields are required. Check the box for which fields you want displayed in the registration form and check the box for whether entering data for this field is required or not.
The Fields tab also allows you to determine the order the fields are displayed in by drag-and-drop.
There is a column in this panel indicating which fields are native to WP. Data for fields that are not native to WP will display at the bottom of the user detail page.
Consider the initially installed fields a starting point. You can add or delete any of these fields as needed (with the exception of username and email which WP requires to create a user).
To delete a field, use the bulk action checkbox in the far left column of the Fields manager for any field(s) you want to delete. Then select “Delete” from the bulk action menu and click the “Apply” button. You can delete multiple fields at one time by checking more than one box. Once a field is deleted from the settings, you would need to use the Add Fields process to recreate it. Also, you may not delete fields that are native to WordPress. If you are not using these, simply uncheck the box marked Display and they will not be used.
Note: Deleting a field from the plugin settings does not effect any registrations that used that field. Any wp_usermeta database values will remain in the database.
To add a new field, complete the details for the new field in the “Add a Field” section.
Once you have entered parameters for the new field and checked the Add Field box, click Update Fields to update the field list with the new field. If your new field is not displayed in the list, it did not update.
Parameters for all fields:
- Field Label – this is what displays on the form
- Option Name – name this will be stored as in the user_meta table (spaces not allowed)
- Field Type – currently support text, textarea, and checkbox
- Display – check this box if the field is to be used in registration form
- Required – check this box if the field is a required field
Parameters for checkboxes:
- Value – this is the value of the field if the box is checked
- Checked by default – this will cause the checkbox to display as checked
Parameters for dropdown lists, multiple checkboxes, and radio groups:
If you add a select (dropdown), multiple checkbox, or radio field, you must specify the values for the list items in the box provided. This list should be provided in the following format:
The Displayed Text|the_stored_value,
- “The Displayed Text” is the text that will display in the dropdown list to the user.
- The pipe charatcer ( | ) is used to separate the displayed menu item from the stored value.
- “the_stored_value” is the value that will be stored in the database if the user selects this item.
- A comma must separate this list item from the next item in the list (no comma is needed after the last item).
If the “Displayed Text” or “the_stored_value” contain a comma (such as “1,000”), the line must be wrapped with quotes (except the comma at the end of the line) like this:
These parameters account for a couple of extra features. For example, if you want the list to start with something such as <–SELECT ONE–> but that this is not a selectable value itself, put the displayed menu item, followed by the pipe separator, and then a comma like this:
Alternatively, if you want a blank line as a separator between a group of menu items, simply use the pipe separator followed by a comma.
Change Field Order
The order in which the fields display can be changed by dragging the field where you want it. Note that the field order is changed immediately upon dropping the field in the new location. Upon successfully changing a field’s place in the order, you should receive a confirmation message.
There is a demo video that goes through all of the features and settings in the Fields tab on the Videos page in the documentation.