An update to the Mailchimp integration plugin has been released today. This version is a major version release, going from 2.1.0 to 2.2.0 as there is a change in the db version and settings.
This post covers some of the changes and updates in this release.
The biggest change (and the one that involves an upgrade to the stored settings) is a change to the opt-in setting. Previously, if you wanted to exclude an opt-in (subscribe) checkbox from the registration form, you had to apply a custom code snippet. Otherwise, it was assumed that all users would be allowed to opt-in or not during the registration process.
This option was not really a good “one-size-fits-all” as there were use-case scenarios where the site may be operated in a way that inclusion in the Mailchimp audience/list was assumed. For this reason, a third option has been added to the opt-in setting, allowing you to remove the opt-in checkbox from the form altogether, which subscribes users automatically.
Note that when this is used, you still need to define a subscribe field, but it can now be an “admin only” field so you can manually remove them via the admin if necessary.
Some other improvements include:
- Added a API log tab to the admin.
- Added batch processing (for bulk subscribe when installing on a new site with existing users) via both the admin panel as well as through the WP CLI interface.
- Added support for holding subscription if the user has not confirmed their signup (when user confirmation/validation is enabled in WP-Members).
- Added support for Maichimp user tags.
- Improves mapping for the Mailchimp address merge field type.