The Download Protect extension just underwent a fairly substantial update, moving it to version 1.1.0.
Here’s an overview of what was addressed in this update:
This version introduces data export directly from the settings tab. You can now export download data in CSV format. The selector allows you to export all data, or to choose a date range.
If you use the date range, you can do a couple of things. If you select a start date but no end date, all data from the start date to the current date will be included. The reverse is also true – if you select an end date only, all data from the oldest to the end date will be included. If both a start date and end date are selected, all data in between the two will be included in the download.
Future updates in this area will expand on this. I expect to add exporting data by user or by file, and also will work on including the export functions in the actual reports screen.
I did a code review of every file in the plugin. This resulted in improving a few things that may be unnoticeable from an output standpoint but will improve overall function. I also looked for any user output strings, both user facing and on the admin side, that were not localized (translation ready). These were updated so that they can be translated.
I also did some work on the HTML output to clean up a few minor issues and improve the overall look. That’s probably a never ending process, but none-the-less, some improvement to HTML output was completed.
While reviewing the code, I also looked for any form data and query string data that may have been overlooked for sanitizing. To the lay-user of the plugin, this may be unnoticeable like other code improvements, but it’s an important part of security as it removes the possibility of scripting exploits. Whenever I do this, I don’t necessarily announce exactly what was found and fixed so as to not give hackers information they shouldn’t have, but I do announce that security fixes were made so that you know an update is important. In this case, the possibilities were very minor, but there were a few things plugged up.
Plugin Update API
The new RocketGeek plugin update API that became part of all the plugins in January also received an update. Download Protect’s 1.1.0 version is the first to include the 1.0.2 version of the plugin update API. The primary update was to make the licensing process translation ready. So these strings will now be able to be included in the plugin’s translation template.
As previously mentioned, there were a number of strings that were updated for localization in the plugin itself as well as the updates API. So the translation template was updated accordingly.
Note that there is only a partial translation of this plugin currently for da_DK. I am working on adding a GlotPress section to rocketgeek.com for managing translations from within the community. This will allow you to suggest translations and add/edit/update existing translations. That’s not done yet, but in the works for later this year.
All in all, I’m happy with this 1.1.0 release of Download Protect. It moves things along and adds some requested features from you, the users. I hope the update goes smoothly for you. As always, if you have any trouble with the update, let me know and I’ll help you as best I can.