The Email as Username extension makes it easy to configure the plugin to use the registered user’s email address as their username. It installs as a plugin, so all you need to do is to load and activate the extension (it loads like any other WordPress plugin).
The extension handles the following:
- Removes the username field from the WP-Members registration form
- Creates a username from the user’s email address
- Updates the username when the user updates their email address
- Validates for unique emails
- Updates labels on login forms, changing “username” to “email”
- Updates the password reset to remove “username” field
Note: This extension does what it says – Email as Username. This is different than logging in with email, which would not necessarily set the user’s email address as the username.
Because this extension uses the email address as the username, it is not compatible with WP Multisite. Multisite usernames can only use letters and numbers.’
If you are using WordPress Multisite, consider configuring to allow users to log in with username OR email.
This extension (and others) are only available to support subscribers. If you are not a support subscriber, find out how to become one or sign up here.