If someone asked me the most common customization that is requested for the plugin, I would have to answer, “How do I customize the plugin to allow the user’s email to be their username?”
There was a tutorial with code snippets on how to set this up. However, some of the new filter hooks available in WP-Members 2.9 make it far easier to setup the plugin to utilize email as a username.
To make things even easier for a broader audience of users, I have configured this as an extension for the plugin. Now all you need to do is to load and activate the extension (it loads as any other WordPress plugin).
The extension handles the following:
- Removes the username field from the WP-Members registration form
- Creates a username from the user’s email address
- Updates the username when the user updates their email address
- Validates for unique emails
- Updates labels on login forms, changing “username” to “email”
- Updates the password reset to remove “username” field
Note: this extension requires WP-Members 2.9.
Because this extension uses the email address as the username, it is not compatible with WP Multisite. Multisite usernames can only use letters and numbers.